PERSONNEL OFFICER ANNOUNCES
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION
(OPEN TO THE PUBLIC)
EMERGENCY SERVICES DISPATCHER TRAINEE
NUMBER: 65248 DATE OF INITIAL POSTING:
DATE: 1/6/2018 8:00:00 AM APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL*:
NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE: $10.00
*APPLICATIONS AND FEES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED PAST THE DEADLINE DATE.
APPLICATIONS POSTMARKED BY THIS DATE WILL BE ACCEPTED.
CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBLE LIST
The eligible list resulting from this examination will be certified for filling vacancies as they occur in the Sullivan County Emergency Control Center.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES
The trainee level is used to recruit candidates to the Emergency Services Dispatcher field. Trainees receive on-the-job training while performing duties of a limited professional nature, under close and continuing supervision. Trainee appointments are for a period of one (1) year, following which incumbents receiving satisfactory ratings will be advanced to the title of Emergency Services Dispatcher without further examination.
Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one (1) year of verifiable full time paid work experience.
1) Candidate must have a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. Prior to appointment, candidates will be subject to a post offer, pre-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, a criminal record search to determine suitability for appointment. Conviction of a felony will bar an applicant from examination and/or appointment. Misdemeanor convictions may be disqualifying depending on type, number, severity and recency.
2) Appointees, within twelve (12) months, will be required to successfully complete a course in Public Safety Dispatch as sponsored by the New York State Department of State, Office of Fire Prevention and Control, or comparable course, and Emergency Dispatch certification administered by APCO International.
3) Appointees, within twelve (12) months, will be required to complete ICS training 100, 200, 700, 800.
NOTE: (1) You must provide complete dates of employment (month/year), number of hours worked per
week and a detailed description of your qualifying experience as indicated above.
(2) Only paid full-time or part-time equivalent experience will be considered.
(3) College degree or transcript must be submitted with application, if applicable.
SUBJECT OF EXAMINATION -
A written test designed to evaluate knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the following areas:
1. Coding/decoding information – These questions test for the ability to follow a set of coding rules. Some questions will require you to code information by converting certain information into letters or numbers. Other questions will require you to decode information by determining if the information that has already been converted into letters or numbers is correct. Complete directions will be provided; no previous knowledge of or training in any coding system is required.
2. Following directions (maps) – These questions test your ability to follow physical/geographic directions using street maps or building maps. You will have to read and understand a set of directions and then use them on a simple map.
3. Retaining and comprehending spoken information from calls for emergency services – These questions test for your ability to retain specific information that is heard in calls for emergency service, such as street address, or to comprehend spoken information from emergency service calls, such as determining the location of a site in relation to landmarks. Simulated 911 calls will be played on audio CD. Immediately following each call, candidates are given audio instructions identifying which questions they are to answer within the test booklet. The questions that candidates are directed to answer for each simulated call will not be in sequential order. Candidates will need to retain and comprehend the information and instruction provided in this portion of the test to respond appropriately to the questions asked and to determine which questions to answer. The time allotted to answer the questions will be limited. At the end of each answer period, the CD will automatically play the next call. Note paper will be provided. Candidates will be permitted to take notes and to refer to them when answering the questions.
4. Name and number checking – These questions test for the ability to distinguish between sets of words, letters and/or numbers that are almost exactly alike. Material is usually presented in two or three columns, and you will have to determine how the entry in the first column compares with the entry in the second column and possibly the third. You will be instructed to mark your answers according to a designated code provided in the directions.
5. Understanding and interpreting written material – These questions test for the ability to understand and interpret written material. You will be presented with brief reading passages and will be asked questions about the passages. You should base your answers to the questions only on what is presented in the passages and not on what you may happen to know about the topic.
Performance Test: A performance test will also be held at a later date, to be announced. The written test will be a ranking test and the performance test will be a qualifying (pass/fail) test. You must pass both the written and performance tests to be considered for appointment. You will not be called to the performance test unless you have passed the written test. Since the performance test is qualifying (pass/fail), if you pass the performance test your final score for the examination will be the score that you achieve on the written test.
Candidates may be invited to the performance test in the order of the scores they achieve on the written test. Sullivan County reserves the right to give the performance test to only as many candidates as are needed to fill available vacancies. The test will be administered on a conventional personal computer (PC). You will be using a conventional PC keyboard, but you will not be using a mouse.
Subject: The test consists of three parts, each preceded by a separate practice session. It will test your ability to enter the kinds of information that dispatchers and related personnel must process for fire, police, and emergency medical services. You will not need any specific information prior to the test; rather, complete on-screen instructions will tell you all that you need to know in order to take the test. In order to pass, you must enter the data at a rate of a least 6,000 keystrokes per hour (which is equal to typing approximately 20 words per minute), with an accuracy rate of a least 97.5%.
Retest Policy: Candidates who fail the performance test will be permitted a retest which will be given on the same day as the original performance test.
Waivers: If you have passed a 911 keyboarding performance test administered by a local jurisdiction in New York State within 5 years of the written test, the performance test may be waived. If you request a waiver, you must submit verifiable evidence of qualifying. Information submitted must contain the title, location, and date of the performance test taken, as well as proof of passing.
Use of calculators is ALLOWED.
The New York State Department of Civil Service has not prepared a test guide for this examination. However, candidates may find information in the publication “How to take a written test” helpful in preparing for this test. This publication is available on line at: www.cs.ny.gov/testing/localtestguides.cfm
FEE STATEMENT: A NON-REFUNDABLE FEE IS REQUIRED FOR EACH SEPARATELY
NUMBERED EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU APPLY. THE AMOUNT OF THE FEE IS STATED ON
IF THE EXAM DATE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED, THE REQUIRED FEE
MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR APPLICATION. SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER PAYABLE TO THE SULLIVAN COUNTY
PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Since no refund will be made, you are
urged to compare your qualifications with the requirements for admission and
file only for those examinations for which you are qualified.
THE FEE WILL BE WAIVED ONLY FOR PERSONS:
1) eligible for Medicaid; or
2) receiving Supplemental Security Income Payments, or
3) receiving Public Assistance in the form of Foster Care, Safety Net, TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy
4) certified as eligible to receive assistance under the Workforce Investment Act of Job Training and Partnership
5) *unemployed AND primarily responsible for the support of a household.
*NOTE: Individuals who can be claimed as a dependent on any other person's tax return ARE NOT eligible for application fee waiver as head of household.
Candidates wishing to claim this waiver must check the appropriate boxes in Section (E) on page (1) of their application and provide the requested information and/or documentation with their application. Such claims are subject to later verification. If the fee (or a properly documented fee waiver request) is not received by the filing deadline, you will not receive an admission letter to the examination.
ADMISSION LETTERS: APPLICANTS WHO MEET THE
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS EXAMINATION WILL RECEIVE AN ADMISSION LETTER
APPROXIMATELY SEVEN DAYS BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TEST DATE. If you qualify to
receive an admission letter and do not receive it within seven (7) days of the
test date, contact the Personnel Department at (845) 807-0485 to report
that you did not receive an admission letter. No consideration will be given
to requests for special test dates that are based upon an applicant's failure
to receive an admission letter for the regular test date.
CROSS-FILING: IF YOU HAVE APPLIED TO TAKE OTHER
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS WITH NEW YORK STATE OR OTHER LOCAL GOVERNMENT
JURISDICTIONS ON THE SAME DATE YOU MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO TAKE ALL EXAMINATIONS AT ONE
You must make your request for these arrangements no
later than two weeks before the date of the examinations. For this Sullivan
County examination, call (845) 807-0485 or write to the Sullivan County
Personnel Department, Government Center,100 North St., P.O. Box 5012,
Monticello, New York 12701
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION FOR
FORMS: USE FORM
SC-330, APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION OR EMPLOYMENT, FOR THIS EXAMINATION. A
SEPARATE APPLICATION MUST BE FILED FOR EACH EXAMINATION FOR WHICH YOU ARE
APPLYING. ALL ITEMS IN THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED. ALL APPLICANTS WILL
EITHER BE ADMITTED TO THE EXAMINATION OR WILL BE INFORMED OF THE REASON FOR
DISQUALIFICATION. COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE PERSONNEL
OFFICE OR MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN THE LAST FILING DATE. THE PERSONNEL
OFFICER RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT OR ACCEPT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE
ADVERTISED FILING PERIOD. TO OBTAIN AN APPLICATION FORM, CONTACT THE SULLIVAN
COUNTY PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT AT 100 NORTH STREET, P. O. BOX 5012, MONTICELLO,
NEW YORK 12701, OR TELEPHONE 845-807-0485.
EDUCATION: WHERE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION IS
REQUIRED, A HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY DIPLOMA FROM ANY STATE OR AN ARMED FORCES
GED (HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL) WILL BE ACCEPTABLE. IN EVALUATING A CANDIDATES
QUALIFICATIONS, 30 CREDIT HOURS EQUALS ONE YEAR OF COLLEGE. SUCH CREDIT HOURS
SHALL BE EARNED AT AN ACCEPTABLE COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY (ONE RECOGNIZED BY THE
NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT AS FOLLOWING ACCEPTABLE EDUCATIONAL
PRACTICES). TRANSCRIPTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED WHENEVER THE QUALIFICATIONS
REQUIRE A SPECIFIC COLLEGE MAJOR OR SPECIFIED NUMBER OF CREDITS.
EXPERIENCE: VERIFIABLE UNPAID, PART-TIME, AND
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE IN ONE OF THE SPECIALIZED AREAS MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR AN
EQUIVALENT AMOUNT OF THE REQUIRED PAID EXPERIENCE UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
PART-TIME EXPERIENCE WILL BE PRO-RATED.
CANDIDATES MAY BE INVESTIGATED OR CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW TO DETERMINE WHETHER
THEY ARE QUALIFIED FOR APPOINTMENT.
MAY BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A MEDICAL EXAMINATION TO DETERMINE IF YOU ARE MEDICALLY
AND PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF PERFORMING THE DUTIES OF THE POSITION.
COMPETING IN PROMOTION EXAMINATIONS CAN BE APPOINTED ONLY IN THE JURISDICTION
IN WHICH THEY ARE PRESENTLY EMPLOYED. ANY PERSON WHOSE NAME IS PRESENTLY ON A
PREFERRED LIST AND WHO MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS FOR A PROMOTION EXAMINATION IN
THE AGENCY FOR WHICH THE TEST IS BEING HELD IS ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE IN THE
LISTS: THE ELIGIBLE LIST RESULTING FROM THIS
EXAMINATION MAY BE USED FOR APPOINTMENT TO OTHER TITLES DEEMED TO BE SIMILAR
AND APPROPRIATE. ELIGIBLE LISTS WILL BE ESTABLISHED FOR A MINIMUM OF ONE
YEAR. ELIGIBLE LISTS IN EXISTENCE FOR MORE THAN ONE YEAR WILL TERMINATE UPON
THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A NEW ELIGIBLE LIST FOR THE SAME TITLE.
RECRUITMENT EXAMINATIONS: CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE QUALIFICATIONS AND PASS THIS EXAMINATION WILL
HAVE THEIR NAMES PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST IN THE ORDER OF FINAL SCORES,
REGARDLESS OF THE DATE ON WHICH THEY FILED OR TOOK THE TEST. APPEAL OF RATINGS
WILL NOT BE ALLOWED AS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR RETEST EXISTS.
STATUS: IF YOU
EXPECT TO ENTER MILITARY SERVICES, YOU MAY STILL COMPETE IN THE EXAMINATION AND
BE APPOINTED OR REINSTATED AFTER YOUR RETURN FROM ACTIVE DUTY. YOU MUST SUBMIT
AN APPLICATION FOR THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED TEST TO BE CONSIDERED FOR A SPECIALLY
SCHEDULED EXAMINATION AFTER YOUR RETURN FROM ACTIVE DUTY.
CREDITS: IF YOU ARE
ELIGIBLE FOR ADDITIONAL CREDIT YOU MUST SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR VETERAN’S
CREDIT WITH YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION OR AT ANY TIME BETWEEN THE DATES OF
YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION AND THE DATE OF THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE
RESULTING ELIGIBLE LIST. APPLICATIONS FOR VETERANS CREDIT ARE AVAILABLE FROM
THIS OFFICE. VETERANS CREDITS CAN ONLY BE ADDED TO A PASSING SCORE. EFFECTIVE
JANUARY 1, 1998, THE STATE CONSTITUTION WAS AMENDED TO PERMIT A CANDIDATE
CURRENTLY IN THE ARMED FORCES TO APPLY FOR AND BE CONDITIONALLY GRANTED VETERANS
CREDIT IN EXAMINATIONS. ANY CANDIDATE WHO APPLIES FOR SUCH CREDIT MUST PROVIDE
PROOF OF MILITARY STATUS TO RECEIVE THE CONDITIONAL CREDIT. NO CREDIT MAY BE
GRANTED AFTER THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE LIST. IT’S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE
CANDIDATE TO PROVIDE APPROPRIATE PROOF INDICATING THE SERVICE WAS IN TIME OF
WAR, AS DEFINED IN SECTION 85 OF THE CIVIL SERVICE LAW, AND THAT THE CANDIDATE
RECEIVED AN HONORABLE DISCHARGE OR WAS RELEASED UNDER HONORABLE CONDITIONS IN
ORDER TO BE CERTIFIED AT A SCORE INCLUDING VETERANS CREDITS.
THIS EXAMINATION IS PREPARED AND RATED BY THE NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF
CIVIL SERVICE IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 23(2) OF THE CIVIL SERVICE LAW. THE
PROVISIONS OF THE NEW YORK STATE CIVIL SERVICE RULES AND REGULATIONS DEALING
WITH THE RATING OF EXAMINATIONS WILL APPLY TO THIS TEST. EXAMINATIONS ARE
RATED ON A SCALE OF 100 WITH THE PASSING MARK AT 70. UNLESS THE ANNOUNCEMENT
STATES OTHERWISE, YOU MUST PASS THE WRITTEN TEST AS WELL AS ANY OTHER PART SUCH
AS A PERFORMANCE TEST, ORAL EXAMINATION, OR SUCH OTHER REQUIREMENTS AS MAY
APPLY. TEST INSTRUCTIONS MAY FURTHER DIVIDE THE TEST INTO PARTS AND SET
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR EACH PART.
ALTERNATE TEST DATES CAN BE ARRANGED IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE
TEST ON THE REGULAR TEST DATE FOR AN ACCEPTABLE REASON. REQUESTS FOR ALTERNATE
TEST DATES MUST BE MADE IN WRITING AT THE TIME THAT YOU APPLY AND MUST INDICATE
THE REASON FOR REQUESTING THE ALTERNATE TEST DATE.
YOU REQUIRE A SPECIAL ACCOMMODATION AT THE TEST CENTER, YOU MUST REQUEST THIS
ACCOMMODATION IN WRITING AT THE TIME THAT YOU APPLY, CLEARLY STATING THE
ACCOMMODATION REQUESTED AND THE REASON FOR REQUESTING THE SAME.
PREFERENCE: PREFERENCE IN CERTIFICATION FROM OPEN COMPETITVE LISTS MAY BE GIVEN TO RESIDENTS OF THE MUNICIPALITY/JURISDICTION MAKING THE APPOINTMENT. THERE MAY BE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENCY FOLLOWING APPPOINTMENT. PROMOTIONAL EXAMS ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS REQUIREMENT.
SENIORITY: SENIORITY WILL BE CREDITED IN
PROMOTION EXAMINATIONS BY ADDING POINTS TO THE SCORES OF PASSED CANDIDATES.
SENIORITY WEIGHING WILL BE ONE POINT FOR EACH CREDITABLE FIVE YEAR PERIOD OR
FRACTION THEREOF BEYOND THE INITIAL YEAR OF SERVICE. CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN ONLY
FOR PERMANENT CLASSIFIED SERVICE ON A CONTINUOUS BASIS PRIOR TO THE EXAMINATION.
OFFICERS: A PUBLIC
OFFICER MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE, A CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES, A
RESIDENT OF THE MUNICIPALITY IN WHICH EMPLOYED, AND MUST NOT HAVE BEEN
CONVICTED OF A VIOLATION OF SELECTIVE TRAINING AND SERVICE ACTS OF THE UNITED
STATES. APPOINTMENTS TO COMPETITIVE CLASS POSITIONS ARE FOR AN INDEFINITE TERM
UNLESS SPECIFIC TERMS HAVE BEEN SET BY LOCAL, SPECIAL, OR GENERAL LAW.
SLIDE-RULES, OR OTHER REFERENCE MATERIALS: UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTIFIED, CANDIDATES ARE PERMITTED
TO USE QUIET, HAND-HELD, SOLAR OR BATTERY POWERED CALCULATORS. DEVICES WITH
TYPEWRITER KEYBOARDS, SPELL-CHECKERS, PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANTS, ADDRESS
BOOKS, LANGUAGE TRANSLATORS, DICTIONARIES, OR ANY SIMILAR DEVICES ARE
PROHIBITED. YOU MAY NOT BRING BOOKS OR OTHER REFERENCE MATERIALS TO THE
NOTE: IF AN OPEN-COMPETITIVE AS WELL AS A PROMOTION EXAMINATION IS GIVEN ON
THE SAME DAY, QUALIFIED CANDIDATES MAY COMPETE IN BOTH EXAMINATIONS BY FILING A
SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR EACH. THE PROMOTION LIST WILL TAKE PRECEDENCE OVER
THE OPEN-COMPETITIVE LIST IN FILLING VACANCIES. ONCE THE PROMOTION LIST HAS
BEEN EXHAUSTED, THE OPEN-COMPETITIVE LIST WILL BE USED TO FILL VACANCIES
THIS EXAMINATION MAY BE USED FOR FILLING POSITIONS IN THE
COUNTY GOVERNMENT. SULLIVAN COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
CHILDREN OF FIREFIGHTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY: IN CONFORMANCE WITH SECTION 85-A OF THE CIVIL SERVICE LAW, CHILDREN OF FIREFIGHTERS AND POLICE OFFICERS KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY SHALL BE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL TEN POINTS IN A COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR ORIGINAL APPOINTMENT IN THE SAME MUNICIPALITY IN WHICH HIS OR HER PARENT HAS SERVED. IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS EXAMINATION AND ARE A CHILD OF A FIREFIGHTER OR POLICE OFFICER KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY IN THIS MUNICIPALITY, PLEASE INFORM THIS OFFICE OF THIS MATTER WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION. A CANDIDATE CLAIMING SUCH CREDIT HAS A MINIMUM OF TWO MONTHS FROM THE APPLICATION DEADLINE TO PROVIDE THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION TO VERIFY ADDITIONAL CREDIT ELIGIBILITY.
HOWEVER, NO CREDIT MAY BE ADDED AFTER THE ELIGIBLE LIST HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED.
FINGERPRINTING: A STATE AND/OR NATIONAL FINGERPRINT SUPPORTED BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION IS REQURED BEFORE AN APPOINTMENT IS MADE TO SOME POSITIONS. THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SERVICES REQUIRES THAT EACH REQUEST FOR SUCH SEARCH BE ACCOMPANIED BY A FEE. CANDIDATE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS FEE.